Webmaster Conference Singapore 2019
What I learned from Webmaster Conference Singapore
Attended the first webmaster conference organized by Google at Google Singapore office, Block 80 on 22 October 2019. Close to 100 participants came from Southeast Asia, Japan, and even as far as Europe came to this event.
Breakfast before the start of the event
There are a total of about 130 trillion pages on the internet and every day Google bots crawl about 20 billion pages.
How Search Works
Googlebots will crawl a site, index it and then rank it.
Search Console: 5 things you should do
- Verify your website & submit a sitemap
- Check how Googlebot see your websites using URL Inspection tools
- Watch out for alerts & manage user permissions
- Check index coverage & debug errors
- Check and optimize your website performance
- Is there a minimum and maximum limited for word counts to rank better?
- Is there keyword density affect the ranking?
- Is it important to fix all 404 errors?
No. Errors 404 can have to generate a lot of traffic, what you can do is to capture the page and redirect them to a similar page.
- Responsive Web Design (RWD) is preferred by the Google ranking algorithm?
No, you can have a separate mobile site from your main site.
- If your domain is older the ranking is better?
- Does Google prefer subdomain over subdirectory?
No. you can have either. But due to the crawling factor, if your web structure architecture is too deep down, it will be harder for Googlebot to crawl.
What other things you might need to know
- Google supports the use of JSON-LD Structured Data
Google uses structured data that it finds on the web to understand the content of the page, as well as to gather information about the web and the world in general. You can use the Structured Data Testing tool to test your site.
- Link out to other sites and use nofollow only when you have to.
- Make your site as fast as you can
How fast your site loads is a ranking factor. You can use Pagespeed insights to check how fast your site loads. But use this as a reference as you do not need to get 100 but make it as fast as you can.
- Crawl-delay, nofollow, and noindex are not going to support in robots.txt
“In particular, we focused on rules unsupported by the internet draft, such as crawl-delay, nofollow, and noindex. Since these rules were never documented by Google, naturally, their usage in relation to Googlebot is very low. Digging further, we saw their usage was contradicted by other rules in all but 0.001% of all robots.txt files on the internet.”
- Mobile-first indexing
Starting July 1, 2019, mobile-first indexing is enabled by default for all new websites (new to the web or previously unknown to Google Search). For older or existing websites, we continue to monitor and evaluate pages based on the best practices.
- Use Hreflang for multi-language site
If you have different language sites do use the Hreflang tag search engine that can serve that result to users searching in that language.
- Video Carousel markup
Use structured data to mark up video content so Google Search can discover the video.
- Livestream markup
The livestream feature adds a live badge to video thumbnails in search results.
- Basic checklist for your Google Search Online presence:
Use ‘site:yourwebsite.com’ search to see if I’m on Google Search, and if I don’t I can verify myself with Search Console and submit a sitemap.
- Take care of how people see my website on Google Search: I check what my results look like with ‘site:yourwebsite.com’ and change title and description using meta title and description tag appropriately
- Verify my website on Google Search Console at g.co/searchconsole to make full use of the data and communication directly from Google.
- My images are described well using image alt tags.
- I’m on HTTTPS.
- I’m not buying or selling links to manipulate Search.
- My passwords are strong and I keep my CMS and plugins up to date.
- I use different passwords for different websites or services.
- My website looks great on both mobile and desktop!
- I passed the Google ‘PageSpeed Insights’ test.
- My websites support more than one language so I correctly declare them with hreflang.
- I annotate my content with the correct structured data format.
- I ask web-related questions at g.co/webmasters.